• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motivation in Games Design
Hey guys, so for a bit now I've been trying to learn 3DSMax so I could learn some modelling for assets in Unreal. I have a large interest in Level Design from starting projects in Garry's Mod however I wanted to take a more realistic approach since it also has to do with the course I am doing which is in fact 'Games Development'.

However I do not have a huge passion for modelling, however, wanting to do it for assets there is a large learning curve that gets me de-motivated every time and I can't pull myself away from it and it feels like 'fake pain' almost.

It seems the only way to get motivated is a motivational person to drag me into a habit of it, however, I am not a motivational person when it comes to being independent sometimes.

I was wondering if anyone who has any experience in the related topic of 'Games Design', such as coding, modelling or it can really be anything can give me some advice on how to draw myself into a habit or how to get around it and be able to do what I like to do at least?

Thanks in advance.
I am cute.
- Gaben

The following 3 users Like Lt. Jeff's post:
 •  Nephew, Slaint, TASSIA
Start with a small project, something you could do in 10-60 minutes and get a sense of accomplishment for. Keep doing this with smaller projects until you can do them without tutorial, then move onto something slightly more advanced, rinse and repeat. If you jump into hard/long projects with little knowledge you'll just get demoralised and give up, but if you start with something small that you can accomplish easily, you'll start to feel more motivated to keep doing it. If you're wanting to learn modelling for Unreal, start by making a small sphere or cube then load it into a project. Once you can do this with your eyes closed, move onto a more complex model with multiple parts and textures, then do the same again.

Modelling isn't anything I'm familiar with, but if you're ever looking to get better at coding give me a shout
Tails
Community Coordinator (Lead Developer)
The following 1 user Likes Tails's post:
 •  TASSIA

If this is your first time to coding, I suggest you stick solely to Unreal Blueprints, as the C++ side of Unreal Engine can get a bit confusing for beginners.

If you want to really get into coding, I also recommend starting with a couple smaller projects to get familiar with it. What I personally find to work best is to create a Minesweeper-like console application, as this involves printing to console, reading from console and object-oriented programming (depending on how you implement it). This is what I usually do when learning a new language.

To get better at Unreal Engine I recommend you check out basic topics like the Construction Script on the documentation. You can also create projects from pre-installed template games, e.g. 3D Person Shooter, and look how they made it, and then try and make it yourself from an empty new project.

For the modelling: I recommend you try and get familiar with atleast one 3D Software. I personally recommend Blender as it's widely known and used, although I do not use it very often and admittedly am not good at it. As a good alternative, checkout the Marketplace, you can find loads of good assets on there, some of them also for free.

Kind Regards,
TASSIA
Tesseract Developer
For the low, low price of 5.99 a month you can join the Tesseract Development Tutoring program
Tails
Community Coordinator (Lead Developer)
The following 1 user Likes Tails's post:
 •  Darkside